It’s time for something sweet for mid-week don’t you think?
This cake was in our home already twice and I loved it each time. It’s surprisingly moist and despite using that much sugar it doesn’t taste sweet at all. It’s not the most handsome one in the display, but the taste makes up for it. It’s almost like a cross between brownie and the softest sponge cake you’ll ever eat.
You can whip it up in just a few minutes and the filling can be adjusted according to your preferences – I used mascarpone with Kahlua liqueur, but the original recipe goes for cream cheese with baileys liqueur – you can check it here.
If you have some extra time to play with decorating it, even better. I didn’t. It smelled to good to waste the precious minutes. Something belly gets priority over eyes.
Let me know how you liked it once you tried it yourself!
Moist & Delicious Guinness Cake
what you need:
- one can of Guinness beer
- 250 gr of butter at room temperature
- 100 gr cocoa powder
- 400 gr caster sugar (I know its a lot but you won’t taste it)
- 140 ml sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 gr plain flour
- 2.5 tsp baking soda
- tub of mascarpone
- flavouring of your choice: Baileys, Kahlua, Amaretto or similar
how its done:
- As always, preheat your oven (to 180C) and prepare your baking tin by rubbing it with butter
- Put your Guinness (tasting recommended) into a saucepan over low heat and melt the butter in it
- Whisk in the cocoa and sugar and take off the heat
- Mix together sour cream or Greek yoghurt with eggs and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and then add to the beer mixture
- Add flour and baking soda and mix until well combined
- Pour into the baking tin and bake for an hour. The cake batter will feel quite watery, but that’s fine. Once it’s done, leave it to cool off completely – the cake is quite heavy and moist and might collapse if you take it out too soon.
- Once cooled off add the icing which is just a mixture of mascarpone with your favorite liqueur flavour. Enjoy!