Are you planning to do Caminito del Rey day trip from Malaga? In that case, you’re at the right place!
Whether you want to do it with your own transport, or looking for a good local travel company to arrange this, this article will have all the details you need to make this day trip a success!
I have recently returned from my first trip to Caminito del Rey, so in addition to recommended tour operators, I will also add some additional insights and practical tips to make your trip enjoyable and fun!
If you prefer to book right away instead of reading all the details, I have included a link to a recommended day trip by a local travel company – just click the link to select your dates and check the prices.
Your Options for Caminito Del Rey Day Trip From Malaga
If you would like to visit Caminito del Rey, there are three options you can explore – I will add detailed information for each of these below. If you have further questions, there is FAQ section at the end of the article too.
The most important thing to remember is that the tickets sell out pretty fast as its one of the most popular natural attractions in Malaga, so if you already know the dates for your Malaga trip, get the tickets to Caminito del Rey online right away – alternatively book the tour which has the tickets included.
No 1: Caminito Del Rey Day Trip From Malaga with Guided Tour & Transport
Probably the easiest, fastest and most cost-effective option to see Caminito del Rey is often by booking a tour from a local travel company. It has a number of advantages, including:
- no need to navigate the local traffic in a rented car
- no hassle finding the correct entrance and parking at Caminito del Rey
- tour guide with the English language included
- travel in an air-conditioned comfortable bus
- free cancellation and reserve now pay later policy
- pick up from a central location in Malaga
If you click the link above you will be able to see the available dates and prices for this tour – in the summer months they tend to sell out pretty fast, so it’s recommended to reserve your post as soon as you know the schedule for your trip to Malaga. The last entrance to Caminito del Rey is at 4pm, and there are dedicated time slots available which you will be able to choose from the travel company website.
For more details on online booking, and other practical travel tips to know before visiting Caminito del Rey, scroll lower down in the article.
No 2: Caminito Del Rey Day Trip From Malaga with Rented Car
If you have already rented a car for your stay in Malaga, it makes complete sense to drive to Caminito del Rey with the car.
The outline of the journey is below, and here is a quick glance overview of what you need to know:
- The distance travelled is approximately 60 km
- The duration of the journey will be around 1 hour
- You should aim to park at the reception center parking lot, from where you will get a shuttle bus to the entrance to Caminito del Rey (north access)
- You need to reach the parking lot at least ONE HOUR before your scheduled entrance to the path
- The shuttle bus costs 2.50 euros return, and they run every 20 minutes (the last bus back to the parking lot is 7pm)
- The bus will drop you off on the main road, where you will see a small tunnel with the sign for Caminito (in pic below)
- From the sign you walk through the tunnel and continue until you reach the entrance point
- Most important – buy your tickets in advance, you can’t get them on the spot!
No 3: Caminito Del Rey Day Trip From Malaga with Public Transport
Until spring this year, it was pretty much impossible to do this trip with public transport.
Now there is an extension of a train line which stops at El Chorro village, from where you can get a shuttle bus to the entrance of Caminito del Rey.
- to get the train, you need to board the train from Malaga Maria Zambrano station
- the journey duration is about 40 minutes
- there are 8 departures per day from Malaga
- the ticket price is 3.50 euros one way
- check the train times at Renfe website before purchasing your entrance tickets, to make sure you have enough time to make it to the entrance (taking into account the shuttle bus journey)
- shuttle bus from El Chorro runs every 20 minutes
Book Online: Caminito Del Rey Day Trip From Malaga
- use the link above to select your trip dates from the calendar
- this trip includes transport and a guided tour (helmets are provided too)
- If you see that your dates are sold out, in most cases, you can still get entrance tickets here, and then rent a car or use the public transport option
- It is highly recommended to book this trip as soon as you know the dates for your stay in Malaga, as it’s very popular and sells out pretty fast
- If you don’t see available dates for this trip either as a day trip or just buying entrance tickets, you can still check at your hotel as they might recommend other local companies that will have tickets available.
- To book your tickets, you will need to provide your ID details and also take it with you for the trip as they might ask to see it by the entrance.
Top Tips for Caminito Del Rey Day Trip From Malaga
Here are some practical tips you should keep in mind before visiting:
- in the information provided, they say that backpacks are not allowed, by they mean large camping style backpacks. You will be fine with a standard-size backpack.
- bring water with you, you will need it!
- choose your shoes wisely – wear something comfortable (on my trip there were two ladies in flowy mini dresses and shoes that were definitely not intended for hiking)
- no hiking sticks or umbrellas are allowed
- no selfie sticks or tripods
- you will need to wear the helmet at all times, even for pictures
- there are some areas where there is a high risk of rocks falling, so you should not stop there for extended periods of time (your guide will indicate this)
- do not remove any rocks, flowers or other natural elements
- no smoking
- stick to the trail as indicated
- you will need to cross a suspension bridge, so for those who are afraid of heights you can ask help from a member of staff that’s standing at the entrance to the bridge
- this trip is not recommended for people with reduced mobility and kids under the age of 8
FAQ: Caminito Del Rey Day Trip From Malaga
Is the path dangerous?
No, it’s not! There have been zero incidents since it’s been reopened following a full reconstruction.
How far is Caminito del Rey from Malaga?
The distance is about 60 km.
Do I need guided tour in Caminito del Rey?
If you’re buying tickets for Caminito del Rey, you will see that you have the option to have either a simple ticket to explore on your own, or a ticket with a guide. There is no obligation to have a guide walk you through the trail as the direction is fairly easy to follow.
I had tickets with a guide only because the basic ones were sold out. While the guide was useful to find some interesting info about the trail, it wasn’t something that was crucial to enjoy the experience, so I would happily skip it next time.
How long does the Caminito del Rey path take?
On average it would take you about 1.5 hours to walk, depending on if you’re with a guided group or on your own.
How to get to Caminito del Rey from Malaga?
There are a few options – you can take public transport using the train to El Chorro and the shuttle bus from there to the entrance, drive there with a rental car and park at the reception center (again taking the shuttle bus to the entrance), or finally booking a day trip from a local travel company, in which case you don’t have to worry about anything else just selecting the date for your trip.
Is Caminito del Rey worth it?
For me personally, definitely! It is such a unique experience and the views are definitely worth it. It’s not at all a very hard or demanding trail either, anyone with ok mobility can walk it. It is not suitable for kids under the age of 8.
Do you need hiking booths for Caminito del Rey?
No you don’t, basic trainers will be fine.
Is Caminito del Rey open in bad weather?
No, in bad weather, rainy conditions and through the winter, the trail is closed for visits.
Is Caminito del Rey suitable for those with a fear of heights?
I am personally scared of heights but did not have any trouble with this trail. It’s roughly in the height of 100 meters, and if you’re scared of heights I would say you should be ok, but there is a suspension bridge you need to cross, so keep that in mind. For me the photos looked much more scary than the trail was in reality.
Can I take a backpack to Caminito del Rey?
Yes you can! Only large camping style backpacks are not allowed.
Save For Later
Other Day Trips from Malaga
Southern Spain Travel Tips
BEST CAR RENTAL
To rent a car, I highly recommend Discover Cars, an award winning price comparison site for car rentals.
BUS & TRAIN TICKETS
To get the cheapest bus or train tickets, take a look at Omio to find the timetables and prices.
Local travel companies offer many day trip options from almost all the destinations in Southern Spain. You can check them out here.
I have been using booking.com for all my trips in Spain and abroad, and it’s the best place to book your hotel.
If you would like to leave your luggage behind to explore the city on your last day, you can use Radical Storage service, which lets you book luggage storage in all the destinations in Spain.
LOCAL SIM CARD
If you want to avoid surprising extra charges from your operator, you can use a service like Airalo, where you can buy digital packs for e-sim cards.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links – if you decide to book using one of the links, I will earn a small commission that helps me run this site. This is at no extra cost to you.