If you’re planning to book a Day Trip To Gibraltar From Benalmadena, you came to the right place! This article has been written by a local ex-pat living on Costa del Sol and will give you answers to all the questions you might have about this trip!
If you prefer to skip the reading and book your trip right away, below you will find a link to my recommended tour operator where you can select your preferred trip dates from the calendar.
Your Options for Day Trip to Gibraltar from Benalmadena
If you’re planning your day trip to Gibraltar from Benalmadena, there are a few options available to you, depending on your preferences. Here is an outline for each of them:
- Book Online with Bus Transport – possibly the easiest and most costs effective way to get to Gibraltar from Benalmadena, without the hassle of driving a car and navigating the local traffic. Great value trip that will leave you plenty of time to explore Gibraltar and do a bit of shopping, before returning to Benalmadena.
- Drive with a Rental Car – if you already rented a car or planning to do so, you can also drive to Gibraltar on your own, but there are a few things you should keep in mind. There are road tolls to pay on your way, on top of petrol and the cost of the car rental. It is also highly recommended to leave the car at La Linea parking lot to save a lot of time waiting for passport control and crossing on foot (see more information on this in the essential info section lower down in the article). It might end up costing you a lot more than booking a day trip with a tour operator, plus the added hassle of finding parking and paying the extra fees.
- Using Public Transport – public transport is the option I would not recommend at all, as the distance to Gibraltar from Benalmadena is quite considerable, and there are no fast travel connections available, apart from a bus. The bus can’t cross to Gibraltar, so you will have to get to La Linea bus station and walk to the border crossing from there. For a day trip, it’s too long a commute time to make it worthwhile.
Book Online: Day Trip to Gibraltar from Benalmadena
As I mentioned earlier, I highly recommend booking your trip online with a tour operator, which has a number of advantages:
- Cancel up to 24 hours ahead of the trip for a full refund
- Reserve your spot now and pay later
- Runs 3x a week
- 9.5 hours total trip duration which is perfect for a day trip
- Travel in a comfortable air-conditioned bus with wifi and USB sockets
- Information about Gibraltar from English speaking guide on board
- Option to book a nature reserve tour (not included in the basic trip rate)
- Free time to explore Gibraltar on your own
How to Book Online Your Day Trip Online
- Head over to the day trip info page here, and select your dates from the calendar.
- Add the number of tickets you want for this day trip
- Once you have the date selected, you will be shown a number of cards with different departure locations, make sure you select the one which says Benalmadena
- PLEASE NOTE: the list of the pickup locations is long, and if you scroll down further you will see Including Rock Tour from Benalmadena Costa as a trip option – select this if you would like to see the Nature reserve while on this day trip (for a different price of course)
- Once you found the card, you will see the meeting point marked on a link and also added starting time for the day trip (usually around 7am)
- Click book now which will navigate you to a payment page
- Once you complete the transaction, you will get a confirmation email which lists all the details you need to know for your trip
Itinerary For Your Day Trip to Gibraltar from Benalmadena
Here is an overview of your itinerary for this day trip:
- Pick up from a designated pick-up location in Benalmadena (Plaza Solymar Bus Stop (2139) next to the pharmacy)
- Travel with a comfortable air-conditioned bus until you reach the border crossing
- The tour operator didn’t make it clear whether you cross on a bus or you will have to do it on foot – in either case, the bus might wait on the other side to take you to the city. You will get details for the arrangements in your trip confirmation email
- Tour of the nature reserve in Gibraltar, if you have selected this option when purchasing your day trip (see how to book the day trip above for instructions)
- Free time to explore Gibraltar, do shopping or wander around
- Return to Benalmadena from the agreed pick-up location in Gibraltar
Essential Info For Your Day Trip to Gibraltar from Benalmadena
As Gibraltar is a UK territory abroad, you are entering a foreign country and there are a few things you should keep in mind when planning and booking your trip:
- It is your responsibility to check the entry requirements to the country, especially if you’re from a non-EU country.
- Gibraltar was annexed to the UK by the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, following the end of the war. It is considered a British territory abroad, most often referred to locally as ‘the Rock’ (no, not the actor).
- As a British territory, the same rules will apply as if you’re visiting the UK. These rules have changed a little since the UK left the EU.
- Before you plan your trip, please make sure that you check the legal requirements for entry to this UK territory on the official Gibraltar government website, where you will get advice for every nationality
- As of spring 2023, you can enter Gibraltar with a valid EU passport without any additional paperwork, or even a valid national ID card (EU citizens only).
- If you’re not from the EU, VISA requirements may apply – check the link above for more details
- There are some restrictions on how much good you can bring to Spain from Gibraltar and another way around, you can check the HM Customs page which has more details. The customs check is both on entry to Gibraltar and also exit.
Frequent Questions About Day Trip to Gibraltar from Benalmadena
Is this day trip suitable for kids?
Older kids should be fine on this trip as the one-way journey by bus will take well under 2 hours.
What’s the weather like in Gibraltar?
The weather tends to be a lot warmer than the destinations on Costa del Sol, so be sure to take some sun lotion and plenty of water with you.
Are there any items that are forbidden to take to Gibraltar?
Anything that would not pass the border security control, such as dangerous items that are not allowed at airports. You should also not bring any food with you when you’re visiting the Nature Reserve and feed the monkeys.
Where are the monkeys in Gibraltar?
They are running freely within the nature reserve, starting around St Michael’s Cave and also at the skywalk.
Other Day Trips From Benalmadena
Day Trips To Ronda From Benalmadena: Book Online (2023)
Caminito Del Rey Day Trip from Benalmadena: Plan Your Trip + Book Online