Are you looking for some options for day trips to Ronda from Benalmadena? In that case, you’re at the right place!
In this article, you will find all your options for exploring Ronda on a day trip from Benalmadena, written by a local expat who visited Ronda and lives next to Benalmadena – that means you’re only getting the most accurate local insights and tips that will save you a lot of time and hassle.
If you’re ready to book your trip, I have added a recommended day trip option with a local tour company below, otherwise, read on to find more details.
Your Options For Day Trips To Ronda from Benalmadena
If you would like to do this day trip, there are four options you can explore, which I outline in detail below.
Option 1: Day Trips To Ronda from Benalmadena with a Local Travel Company
If you want a hassle-free and very affordable way to see Ronda on a day trip, I would say this is the best option.
This day trip is run by a local travel company, and in just one trip you get to see two beautiful places in just one trip – Ronda, and then Setenil de las Bodegas, which is a unique Andalusian white town where homes have been carved into a massive rock formation. It’s certainly a place you won’t forget – you can check my photos from there below and more here.
The trip is really easy to book online, and it’s also risk-free – you can cancel up to 24 hours before the trip for a full refund, and they allow you to book now and pay later. Click the link below to check the available dates and prices for your selected trip.
Option 2: Day Trips To Ronda from Benalmadena with Rental Car
If you have already rented a car for your stay in Benalmadena, driving to Ronda will be possibly the easiest option for you.
The distance between Benalmadena and Ronda is just over 100 km, which would take you around 1.5 hours to drive (check the route suggestion on the map below). Some of the roads on your way to Ronda may be toll roads, the google map planner would normally indicate that. Have some spare cash in the car in case you happen to arrive at a toll booth.
There are two ways you can reach Ronda – route 1 is driving down south towards Marbella and then north towards Ronda – this road is very curvy and goes right through the mountains. While the views are pretty, you might struggle with travel sickness. The other option is driving towards Malaga and north from there – I’m not familiar with this route but from the map it looks like a better option than the first one.
Once you’re in Ronda, you can explore on your own, or alternatively, you can book an independent tour guide for the day in advance online here.
Option 3: Day Trips To Ronda from Benalmadena with Public Transport
If you’re planning to use public transport, that’s certainly an option but it will leave you limited time to explore Ronda as the travel connections are not that frequent.
There is a direct bus to Ronda from Benalmadena, but there are only 3 departures per day, with the journey time between 1.5 hours to over 2 hours. The earliest leaves around 10am from the Marina, but on your way back there is only one direct bus to Benalmadena leaving at 4.30pm.
For more travel connection options, you can check the buses from Malaga to have more departure options, and also check buses back to Malaga, from where you can get a bus or train back to Benalmadena.
If you want to get from Malaga to Ronda, there are direct buses from the main station in Malaga, with tickets starting at 13 euros per person and 3 connections per day. The journey takes between 2hrs 40 mins up to 3 hours, depending on the connection.
The other option is the train, which has even more limited connections. There is only one train connection leaving Malaga Maria Zambrano at 9.10 am with tickets starting at 11.90 euros one way. The journey takes nearly 2 hours.
As you can see from the limited travel connections, doing this day trip with public transport is not completely impossible, but very inconvenient leaving you very little time to spend in Ronda. If you’re set on using public transport, I would recommend considering staying in Ronda at least for one night so you get a chance to explore it properly.
Option 4: Day Trips To Ronda from Benalmadena by Taxi
For those who prefer a convenient commute and don’t mind the cost, you can also book a taxi or uber to take you to Ronda and back to Benalmadena.
One way journey according to online quotes would cost between 100 eur and 150 eur, depending on the number of people travelling, the type of car and the time of your trip.
You can use websites like gettransfer.com, which I have used for longer journeys, as they tend to work out cheaper than a standard taxi – you can put in your trip details and they will send you quotes from lots of taxi and transport companies.
Book Online: Day Trips To Ronda from Benalmadena
If you decided to book this day trip using the local travel company, I believe it’s the best value for money and an option with the least hassle. Below are some of the benefits of this particular day trip.
Here are just some of the advantages of using this option:
- FREE Cancellation up to 24 hours before departure for a full refund
- Central pick up location for Benalmadena
- SEE two places in one day trip (Ronda and Setenil)
- 2 Departures per week – book ahead to avoid missing out on your spot
- PAY LATER – reserve your spot now and pay later
- Duration 8 – 10 hours which is perfect for a day trip
- English-speaking tour guide
- Travel with an air-conditioned modern bus
- Check reviews for this trip from other travellers before booking
- Option to book an extra walking guided tour of Ronda
How to Book Your Day Trips To Ronda from Benalmadena Online
- Head over to the day trip info page here, and select your dates from the calendar.
- Add the number of tickets you want for this day trip
- Once you have the date selected, you will be shown a number of options with different departure locations, make sure you select the one which says Benalmadena
- There are two options for a trip from Benalmadena, select the one that’s closest to you
- In the selected option you will also see the start time for the trip and also exact pick-up location
- Click book now which will navigate you to a payment page
- Once you complete the transaction, you will get a confirmation email which lists all the details you need to know for your trip
Good To Know Before Booking Your Day Trip
- Comfortable shoes are a must when visiting Ronda
- The road to Ronda may lead through serpentine roads in the mountains, so if you struggle with travel sickness I would recommend taking some travel medicine with you
- Take water with you, especially if you’re travelling in the summer
- Ronda is located 740 meters (2500 feet) above sea level, so it is much cooler than the coast, especially in fall and winter. In the summer, on the other hand, it will be very hot!
- I would not recommend this trip for very young kids, as they might struggle with the bus journey