Are you looking for convenient options for Fuengirola Gibraltar day trips? In that case, you came to the right place!
I have been living in Fuengirola for a number of years now, and also visited Gibraltar, so in this article, I will share my recommendations for booking a day trip from Fuengirola to Gibraltar, along with some practical tips that will save you a bit of time, money and hassle.
If you prefer to book right away without reading the details, you will find the booking link below.
Your Options for Fuengirola Gibraltar Day Trips
While Fuengirola is well connected with the rest of Costa del Sol with a train and bus network, reaching Gibraltar from here is a little more tricky due to limited connection options.
In the outline below, I will share the different options you have available for arranging your own day trip to Gibraltar, or booking one with a tour operator.
Option 1: Tour Operator Fuengirola Gibraltar Day Trips
I think this is the easiest and most cost-effective way to get to Gibraltar from Fuengirola, without the hassle of driving a car and navigating the local traffic. Great value trip that will leave you plenty of time to explore Gibraltar and do a bit of shopping, before returning to Fuengirola.
This trip has a basic fare which is just for a trip to Gibraltar and back, with free time to explore. You will also have the option to upgrade your trip if you want to see also the Nature Reserve, where you can see some of the highlights like St Michael’s Cave, Skywalk, Pillars of Hercules, and of course, the famous Gibraltar monkeys running freely here. Click the link below to select the option with ‘Rock Tour Included from Fuengirola’ after selecting your dates, if you want to also want to see the Nature Reserve.
Option 2: Drive with a Rental Car
If you already rented a car or planning to do so, you can also drive to Gibraltar on your own, but there are a few things you should keep in mind.
While the drive itself is pretty straightforward, there are some tolls to pay on your way, on top of the cost of petrol, car rental and parking.
It is highly recommended to park the car at La Linea de la Conception parking lot close to the borders, as crossing the borders in a car can take hours (the lines are notoriously long, especially in the main season). Once you park your car at La Linea, you can cross on foot via the pedestrian checkpoints, and then walk to Gibraltar (around 20 minutes) or take a local Gibraltar taxi from there. Local taxis or buses do not cross the borders.
Option 3: Using Public Transport
I would recommend not considering this option at all, as the only direct connection to Gibraltar from Fuengirola is a long-distance bus, that has two departures per day, and one-way journey is close to 2 hours, so not convenient at all to use for a day trip.
You also have the option to take a bus or train to Malaga, and get a bus from there (up to 7 departures per day), but the added travel time to Malaga doesn’t make this a time-effective and convenient option for a day trip.
Book Online: Fuengirola Gibraltar Day Trips
As I mentioned earlier, I highly recommend booking your trip online with a tour operator, which has a number of advantages:
- Cancel up to 24 hours ahead of the trip for a full refund
- Reserve your spot now and pay later
- Check trip reviews from other travellers before booking
- Runs 3x a week
- 9.5 hours total trip duration which is perfect for a day trip
- Travel in a comfortable air-conditioned bus with wifi and USB sockets
- Information about Gibraltar from English speaking guide on board
- Option to book a nature reserve tour (not included in the basic trip rate)
- Free time to explore Gibraltar on your own
How to Book Fuengirola Gibraltar Day Trips Online
- Head over to the day trip info page here, and select your dates from the calendar.
- Add the number of tickets you want for this day trip
- Once you have the date selected, you will be shown a number of options with different departure locations, make sure you select the one that says Fuengirola
- PLEASE NOTE: the list of the pickup locations is long, and if you scroll down further, you will see Including Rock Tour from Fuengirola as a trip option – select this if you would like to see the Nature reserve while on this day trip (for a different price of course)
- Once you find the correct trip from the selection, you will see the meeting point marked on a link and also added starting time for the day trip (usually around 7am)
- Click book now which will navigate you to a payment page
- Once you complete the transaction, you will get a confirmation email which lists all the details you need to know for your trip
Essential Info For Fuengirola Gibraltar Day Trips
- It is your responsibility to check the entry requirements to the country, especially if you’re from a non-EU country.
- Gibraltar was annexed to the UK by the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, following the end of the war. It is considered a British territory abroad, most often referred to locally as ‘the Rock’ (no, not the actor).
- As a British territory, the same rules will apply as if you’re visiting the UK. These rules have changed a little since the UK left the EU.
- Before you plan your trip, please make sure that you check the legal requirements for entry to this UK territory on the official Gibraltar government website, where you will get advice for every nationality
- As of spring 2023, you can enter Gibraltar with a valid EU passport without any additional paperwork, or even a valid national ID card (EU citizens only).
- If you’re not from the EU, VISA requirements may apply – check the link above for more details
- There are some restrictions on how much good you can bring to Spain from Gibraltar and another way around, you can check the HM Customs page which has more details. The customs check is both on entry to Gibraltar and also exit.
- Following the passport checks, you will have to cross the airport runway to get to Gibraltar town, sometimes this can take a while if you have to wait due to scheduled plane departure or arrival