Are you travelling from Malaga airport to Puerto Banus? If you’re wondering what’s the easiest way to get there, this article has all the answers you need, including detailed timetables and prices.
Best of all, it’s written by a local expat who knows both destinations in and out, so you get the most accurate local information that will save you both time and money.
Where is Puerto Banus?
Puerto Banus is officially part of the city Marbella, located on Costa del Sol in Southern Spain. The borders of the district are marked on the map below.
It stretches from the Rio Verde river up to Rio Guadaiza, and is framed by the Mediterranean highway in the North.
Distance from Malaga Airport to Puerto Banus
The distance between Malaga airport and Puerto Banus is approximately 60 kilometers.
Malaga Airport to Puerto Banus: Transport Options
There are a number of travel options for getting to Puerto Banus, below is a quick glance overview followed by more detailed instructions and tips below.
- by car: a 40 minute drive via AP-7 (tolls are due on this road), or slightly longer on the A-7 (toll free road)
- by bus: there are no direct buses from the airport all the way to Puerto Banus, you will have to take one to Marbella main bus station and take a connecting bus or taxi from there.
- by train: there are no trains running to Puerto Banus, the train network stops in Fuengirola. You will have to get off there and get the local bus to Marbella (which does not stop in Puerto Banus)
- by taxi: the taxi will cost between 80 to 100 euros, depending on where in Banus you’re getting off. It’s the fastest way to get to Puerto Banus from the airport.
1. Malaga Airport to Puerto Banus by Bus
There is no direct bus that will take you directly to Puerto Banus from Malaga airport. The only bus option is taking the direct bus connection to the main bus station in Marbella from the airport, and changing there for either a bus or a taxi.
The bus from Marbella to Malaga airport is a direct connection with the L-618 or L-605 Avanza Line.
For the express bus to Marbella, you can check the departure times here, but as you will see the connection only runs 3 times a day, at 2pm, 3.30pm and 6pm. A detailed timetable is available here. The journey with this connection takes on average 40 minutes.
Another connection option that starts at Malaga airport and runs all the way to Estepona is the L-605 Avanza line, with timetable available here. This connection runs more frequently but there are only 5 connections per day, the first one at 2.25pm and the last one at 21.20pm. The journey also takes approximately 40 minutes.
Once you get to Marbella’s main bus station, there is a taxi rank outside and you can get a taxi to Puerto Banus for under 10 euros for the journey. Alternatively, there are two local buses that can take you to Nueva Andalusia or Hypercor stops, the buses number L79 and L1.
2. Malaga Airport to Puerto Banus by Train
There are no direct train connections between Malaga airport and Puerto Banus. If you insist on using train, you will have to get the C-1 commuter train from the airport in the direction of Fuengirola and get off at the last stop, which is Fuengirola’s main station.
From there, you walk down towards the coastline around the big roundabout, to the main bus station.
There are two types of buses that go to Marbella – the fast ones (red Avanza buses) which takes 30 minutes and the slow local ones (green M-122) which take well over an hour.
Both of the buses go to Marbella’s main station, so you will have to get a taxi from there to Puerto Banus. You can expect to pay around 10 euros. Alternatively, you can take one of the local buses and get off at Nueva Andalucia stop (for Puerto Banus) – the bus L79 (goes all the way to Estepona) or bus L1 which stops at Hypercor shopping center in Puerto Banus.
3. Malaga Airport to Puerto Banus by Car
The fastest way to get to Puerto Banus from Malaga airport is by car. You have two ways you can get there.
- via AP-7 – this is the paid motorway where toll is due for the journey (I think it was in the range of 8 euros). The toll is paid in cash at the tool booth as you arrive. The journey on this road is much faster as there is barely any traffic. It will take on average around 40 minutes.
- via A-7 – this motorway goes alongside the AP-7 and has beautiful views of the coastline. It’s the road used by most cars, so it does get busy and crowded. The local buses to Marbella also use this highway and the one from Fuengirola stops many times on the road, so you need to keep your distance if you see the green buses. The journey duration pretty much depends on the time when you travel and how busy the road is, but you can expect it to be around 10 to 20 minutes longer than the toll road.
4. Malaga Airport to Puerto Banus by Taxi
Malaga airport taxi to Puerto Banus is an easy and convenient way to arrive at your destination. There is a taxi rank just outside the arrivals hall and there are always plenty of taxis available, so you don’t need to worry about having to wait long.
As you get out of the airport arrival hall, turn to the right and walk all the way to the end of the path. You will see taxis parked right at the end of it.
Make sure the driver puts the meter on when you leave the airport. In most taxis, you can pay with a card, but cash is generally preferred. If you are travelling with bigger luggage or a bigger group, it’s better to book a taxi online as the bigger cars are not readily available at all hours in there.
The taxi journey will cost in the range of 80 to 100 euros, depending on where in Puerto Banus you’re going to, and also what time you’re travelling (late-night taxis are more expensive).
Frequent Questions about Malaga Airport to Puerto Banus Route
How to get from Malaga airport to Puerto Banus?
The fastest way is either by car or taxi. The journey takes approximately 40 minutes. The taxi will cost you between 80 to 100 euros, depending on where in Puerto Banus you need to get to.
How to travel from Malaga airport to Puerto Banus?
The easiest and most convenient is either by car or taxi. Bus or train options take a long time and connecting transport options are required.
Is there a bus from Malaga airport to Puerto Banus?
No, there is no direct bus. You can take a direct bus to Marbella main station, and then take a local connecting bus to Puerto Banus, or take a taxi outside the station to your final destination.
Explore More in Marbella
Best Restaurants in Marbella: Guide by a Local Foodie
Your Complete Guide to Marbella Old Town
How to Spend a Day in Marbella: One Day Itinerary
Jungle in the City: Alameda Park in Marbella
Your Guide to Plaza de los Naranjos: The Orange Square in Marbella
Is Marbella Worth Visiting? All Your Questions Answered