Do you need to get from Malaga to Benalmadena, easily and without hassle?
This article has everything you need to know to plan your Malaga to Benalmadena trip, including some practical local tips to save you time and money.
Malaga to Benalmadena: Distance
The distance between Malaga and Benalmadena is approximately 25 – 30 kilometers
Malaga to Benalmadena Travel Connections
Here are your options for getting from Malaga to Benalmadena:
The fastest option: taxi or rented car
Cheapest option: train or bus
From Malaga Airport: taxi or train
Malaga to Benalmadena by Taxi
Taxi journey from Malaga to Benalmadena will take approximately 15 minutes, and it will cost around 30 euros, depending on where you’re leaving from and where you are being dropped off.
The taxi from Malaga airport to Benalmadena is a little cheaper, around 20 euros.
If you’re planning to use a taxi, I highly recommend installing Uber app on your phone as they tend to be cheaper than a standard taxi.
Malaga to Benalmadena by Train
There is a regular local train connection to Benalmadena, which is the route Malaga – Fuengirola. I use it very frequently and its very convenient and a comfortable travel connection, not to mention affordable.
In Benalmadena, the train stops at Aroyo de la Miel, which is close to the old town. From there it’s about 15-20 minute walk to the coast. You can also take a taxi from the station or a local bus.
The trains run approximately every 20 minutes from Maria Zambrano or Centro station, and you can buy the tickets at the booth in the station building.
One-way ticket costs around 5 euros and the journey will take approximately 20-25 minutes. The train also stops at the airport terminal, so its a convenient way to get to Benalmadena directly from the airport.
Train Stations in Malaga
The only difference between the Malaga train station options is the fact that Maria Zambrano is a much bigger station with lots more facilities and easy access to a taxi.
The station is a connecting point for traveling further beyond Malaga, to bigger cities like Cordoba, Granada or Madrid. It has restaurants, supermarkets, shops, cafes and much more.
The Malaga Centro station is a small and old one, but convenient if you’re planning to walk to the center of the town or want to get closer to the central. There is no taxi rank outside the station and nearly zero facilities, apart from the ticket office.
Train Station in Benalmadena
The train station is relatively small, with almost zero facilities apart from ticket booths. There is a taxi rank and a bus stop just across the road, and also a few restaurants nearby.
Malaga to Benalmadena by Car
From Malaga, take the MA-21 road towards Fuengirola, and you should arrive in Benalmadena in about 25 minutes.
Malaga to Benalmadena by Bus
There is a regular Avanza service to Benalmadena, which stops at the marina area, and leaves from the main station in Malaga.
The journey is approximately 35 minutes, so it’s much faster the take the train instead. The buses are also not as frequent as train connections.
Most Popular Activities & Day Trips in Benalmadena
Here is a selection of some fun activities and day trips from Benalmadena – these are independently organized tours with pick-up from the town. To see available dates and check the prices please click on the link for each activity.
- Caminito Del Rey Guided Tour – with pick up from Benalmadena, a guided tour of the famous walkway along the El Chorro Gorge, with transportation, entrance fees and tour guide included.
- Dolphin Watching Boat Trip in Benalmadena – explore the coast of Benalmadena from a boat, enjoy a trip that includes spotting dolphins in their natural habitat, swimming and sunbathing on the boat.
- Day Trip to Ronda and Setenil de las Bodegas – see one of the wonders of Andalusia, the Puente Nuevo in Ronda with one of the oldest bullrings in Spain, and admire the houses built into massive rock formations in Setenil. Includes pick up from Benalmadena, a tour guide, a glass of Ronda wine, and entry to Palacio Mondragon.
- Day Trip to Granada with Tour of Alhambra – see one of the most famous monuments in Andalusia, the palace complex of Alhambra with a tour guide with a pick up from Benalmadena.
- Day Trip to Gibraltar – enjoy a trip to the UK territory with free time for shopping and an optional visit to the Nature Reserve with a guide.
Explore More in Benalmadena
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links – if you decide to book using one of the links, I will earn a small commission that helps me run this site. This is at no extra cost to you.