What’s the weather like for Marbella in December?
If you’ve been asking yourself this question before booking your holiday, this article will answer all the questions you might have!
Unlike a generic weather forecast, it’s written by a local expat living next to Marbella, so you’re only getting the most accurate insider information that will save you a lot of time and money.
Let’s dive in!
Weather in Marbella in December at Glance
- temperatures: high of 16C (61F) and low of 8C (46F)
- rainy days: 5 – 10 days
- cloudy days: up to 70% of the month
- sunshine hours: 6 hours
- sea temperature: 17C (63F)
Weather for Marbella in December: What to Expect?
December signals the start of the winter season, a considerably reduced number of tourists, and preparations for Christmas celebrations.
Some holiday resorts start closing their doors as early as November, so this month is pretty quiet and the whole city slows down.
Temperatures in Marbella in December
The temperatures in December go down as low as 10C or even more towards the end of the month. December marks the start of the winter season, with more unpredictable swings in temperatures. On sunny days, it will be very nice and warm in the sun, but when you encounter some of windy does, it does indeed feel like a proper winter.
Rain in Marbella in December
In December the chances for spotting some rain are much higher but not as bad as in January and February. As I mentioned previously, the rainy periods in Costa del Sol are nothing like what you would encounter in the UK. If it does rain, it’s usually over in a matter of few hours and the sky can clear up and reward you with a nice sunny day afterwards.
Thunderstorms are also quite common for this time of year, and they make their way through the coastline pretty fast.
Sunshine in Marbella in December
Depending on the year, some winters are much warmer and sunnier than others. You will get on average around 6 hours of sunshine or daylight per day. While it’s certainly not sunbathing weather anymore, you will be warm if you’re sitting on a terrace in the sun.
Cloudy Days in Marbella in December
You will see a lot more clouds in December compared to previous months, but the weather is not as bad as in January and February. There are still some sunny days around, and even on the cloudy days it’s not completely overcast and you will see the sun peaking out from behind the white clouds.
Sea Temperatures in Marbella in December
The sea temperature in December in Marbella hovers around 17C.
Weather for Marbella in December: What to Pack?
Winter clothing for December is a must, but you don’t need to buckle up for a freeze! Cardigans with jackets, windbreaker jackets and some waterproof clothing will be enough to keep you warm.
I also always recommend bringing or buying a pair of slippers, if you’re staying in a rented apartment as the floors are really cold and locals don’t use any carpets.
Things to do in Marbella in December
In December you can enjoy almost all the tourist attractions and activities without crowds and waiting. Here are a few ideas on what you can do in Marbella and beyond in December:
- enjoy discovering the Old Town Marbella with far fewer crowds
- car spotting or luxury shopping in Puerto Banus
- enjoying a long walk along the coastal promenade from Marbella towards Puerto Banus
- a day trip to Malaga to explore the Picasso Museum or his birth home museum, the Alcazaba or Gibralfaro Castle
- plan a day trip to Ronda
- tasting the local tapas around Marbella while being able to still enjoy some outdoor dining this month
- visiting Bioparc in Fuengirola
- taking a stroll through Alameda park
Most Popular Experiences in Marbella
- Gibraltar Day Trip with Pick up from Marbella – see the Gibraltar monkeys in the nature reserve and enjoy free time for duty free shopping!
- Day Trip from Marbella to Morrocco – experience the African continent with an easy and affordable day trip directly from Marbella!
- Marbella: Tour of the Old Town with Tapas & Wine – a treat for all your senses, experience the culinary side of Marbella with a local guide.
- Marbella: Catamaran Tour with Dolphin Watching – see Marbella’s coastline on board of a modern catamaran, and if you’re lucky you will have dolphins for company!
- Day Trip from Marbella to Granada with Tour of Alhambra Palace – marvel at the beauty of ancient Alhambra, and enjoy free time to discover Granada.
- Full Day Trip to Cordoba with Mosque Entrance Tickets – enjoy a trip to the heart of Andalusia and admire one of the most famous churches in Spain, the Mosque Cathedral of Cordoba.
- Day trip from Marbella to Ronda and Setenil de las Bodegas – one of the most beautiful towns of Andalusia is within your reach with this short and affordable day trip from Marbella.
Is Marbella warm in December?
It is relatively warm compared to the rest of Europe, and on sunny days the temperatures can reach up to 15C. December weather in Marbella is more unstable with more frequent changes in temperature and weather conditions, so you can’t really accurately predict what the weather will be like once you arrive in the city.
Is December a good time to visit Marbella?
It depends on what you’re planning to do. December brings about more rain and cloudy days, but it’s still considerably warmer compared to the rest of Europe, so you will be able to enjoy walks by the sea and dining out on a terrace still.
What is the coldest month in Marbella?
January and February are generally the coldest months in Marbella.
What’s the weather in Marbella like in December?
The weather is more cloudy with a higher chance of rain, but also plenty of sunshine and warm days.