Is Nerja worth visiting? If you’ve been wondering whether to add Nerja to your travel itinerary around Southern Spain, this article will provide all the answers you may need!
Where is Nerja in Spain?
Nerja is a small coastal town in Southern Spain, in the autonomous region of Andalusia.
It belongs under the district of Malaga. It’s only 70 kilometers away from Malaga airport, making it an easy travel destination.
Location of Nerja on the map:
What Region is Nerja in?
Nerja is located in the autonomous Spanish region of Andalusia, which is in Southern Spain.
How Far is Nerja from Malaga Airport?
Nerja is approximately 70 kilometers away from Malaga airport. A car journey would take you approximately 50 minutes.
How much is a Taxi from Malaga Airport to Nerja?
Taxi companies charge around 70 euros for the trip from Malaga airport to Nerja or another way round. Check online and ask for quotes from different companies to get the best price.
How Far is Nerja from Malaga?
The distance between Nerja and Malaga is approximately 58 kilometers.
What is Nerja Famous for?
Nerja is most known for the Balcony of Europe (Balcon de Europa), a beautiful viewing point and a promenade in the center of Nerja’s old town. It is also a popular summer destination thanks to beautiful beaches, nearby mountain ranges perfect for hiking, and also caves.
Unlike other coastal towns on Costa del Sol, its coastline is not covered by apartment buildings, but by beautiful rock formations and cliffs, offering a beautiful backdrop for holidaymakers.
Is Nerja Worth Visiting?
It certainly is!
Nerja is one of the most popular destinations along the Costa del Sol as it offers a unique blend of beautiful landscape, clean and pretty beaches, and opportunities for both water sports and hiking activities.
Thanks to its location in Southern Spain, it has had great weather for much longer than other destinations in Europe.
If you’re staying in Nerja, there are a lot of beautiful places nearby that you can also easily explore – for example the village of Friligiana.
How to Get to Nerja from Malaga?
If you need to get to Nerja from Malaga, there are a few options:
- by bus – there is a regular bus connection between Malaga and Nerja. The journey takes between 1 hour 10 minutes up to 1.5 hours, depending on the connection you take. It is a direct route, with approximately 5 to 9 stops on the way, but no changes are needed. You can check the bus times and buy your tickets online at the Alsa website. The tickets are quite cheap just under 5 euros one way.
- by car – if you’re renting a car, the drive to Nerja is pretty easy. It’s a straight drive on the main Mediterranean highway number A-7. The distance between the cities is under 60 kilometers and the trip by car will take approximately 45 minutes.
- by taxi – if the above options don’t work for you, you can also take a taxi to Nerja. The journey is quite long and therefore expensive, it can cost in the region of 70 to 100 euros, depending on the pickup and drop-off location.
There are no direct train connections available at Nerja as they don’t have any train network in the city.
What To Do in Nerja?
If you’re planning to stay in Nerja, you’re spoiled for choice when it comes to activities and things to do. Some of these include:
- check the gorgeous views from the Balcony of Europe
- visit the caves just outside of Nerja
- explore Nerja old town
- enjoy a day at the beautiful beaches
- enjoy some water sports
- check out the hiking routes around Nerja
- visit Burriana beach
Which Costa is Nerja on?
Nerja is located on Costa del Sol.
What is Nerja Like?
Nerja is quite different from rest of the destinations on Costa del Sol – it doesn’t have the usual coastal promenade lined with apartment blocks, and lines of serviced crowded beaches.
The coastline is dominated by dramatic rocks and cliffs, which is one of the things that attracts a lot of visitors here.
The old town looks and feels like any other one in Andalusia, so there isn’t anything particularly special about it. Thanks to its location, the other thing that makes Nerja special is access to stunning nature and beautiful hiking routes.
In the summer months, Nerja is a popular holiday destinations for locals, so it does get very busy.
When to Visit Nerja?
Nerja is best to visit at the beginning or end of the season, otherwise, it tends to be pretty crowded and busy during the summer months.
Where to Park in Nerja?
You can park on the streets in Nerja, but in the summer months this can prove quite a challenge. The city offers a munipical parking in the town center, close to the Balcony of Europe. The entrance is via calle La Cruz. Full day parking in here costs around 21 euros (for 12 hours).
For more information on other parking options, check here.