Booking a trip to Fuengirola and you’re not sure if October is too cold already?
You’re in luck – I happen to live here and can tell you all about it, first hand!
How is Fuengirola in October?
Warm, and very pleasant.
It’s much less crowded compared to previous months, still enjoys plenty of warm sunny days and lots of daylight hours. Compared to the rest of Europe, you can consider it to be ‘hot’.
In October, the temperatures hover around 25C, with the only noticeable change in weather being in the mornings and evenings.
Mornings and evenings are starting to get chilli, so you would wear a light jacket. Even with that, it’s not typical autumn weather as you would expect it.
You can still enjoy a day at the beach, the seawater is between 20 – 23C, so very pleasant for swimming. Unlike a month ago, you won’t have to compete for the best sunlounger spots with other tourists.
Is Fuengirola Busy in October?
Short answer – no.
Compared to September, October is normally a much more quiet month with fewer tourists arriving for holidays. But that does not mean the city is empty.
October normally marks the start of the winter season, when the ‘winter birds’ from the Nordic countries return to their holiday homes or come here for a short holiday.
Even with the decrease in tourist numbers, all of the facilities in the city remain open as usual. The sun lounger rentals are still operating as normal, all the hotels and restaurants are also open.
The local travel services are also still in full operation, offering day trips, boat rentals, accommodation bookings and other services.
Is Costa del Sol Hot in October?
Generally yes, it depends on the location in Costa del Sol.
Some cities get more rain than others, for example, Fuengirola tends to avoid some of the heavier rainfalls which are headed towards Malaga or Marbella direction (I don’t know if we’ve just been lucky or it’s something that will repeat every year).
Even within Costa del Sol, there is a massive difference in the weather conditions around the different cities, and usually the further south you go, the better chances of getting decent weather.
Compared to the rest of Europe, you can consider most of Costa del Sol to be warm for this time of year, so perfect location if you’re looking for a bit of winter sun.
How Much Rain do You Get in Fuengirola in October?
On average Fuengirola enjoys 4 – 5 rainy days in October. Many times rain will be forecasted for days, but nothing actually happens as the weather front might change direction.
Even if you’re booking your holiday in advance, the chances that it will rain for more than 1-2 days in a row are pretty low. The rain at this time of year is usually just a quick shower that passes during the day, and the sun returns later.
What is Happening in Fuengirola in October?
The main event in October is the Rosario Fair, which starts on 6th October and ends on 12th October.
In previous years, it would be a massive fair with food and entertainment for both kids and adults, and the party would go on till late hours. Even though the restrictions in Andalusia have been pretty much all released, the fair in its original scale has been cancelled this year, as it has the previous year.
That doesn’t mean that there isn’t anything happening though.
At the local Recinto Feria, there will be a smaller scale even for kids with an amusement park and some refreshment options.
Bonus tip: If you’re booking accommodation for the week of the Feria, make sure you don’t get an apartment or hotel anywhere close to it. It’s very loud and the windows in Spain have zero soundproofing. Otherwise, you will be treated to loud music and screams every day for a week, till midnight.
Fuengirola: Recommended Day Trips & Experiences
- Caminito del Rey Day Trip with Guide – explore the world-famous pathway of the king, and admire the stunning views from the gorge El Chorro. Includes pick up in Fuengirola, entrance to Caminito del Rey and helmets.
- Day Trip to Gibraltar – with pick up from Fuengirola with a minibus, with free time in Gibraltar for shopping and an optional tour of the nature reserve.
- Gibraltar Sightseeing Day Tour – a more structured day trip with a full tour of the nature reserve, showing you all the highlights, with free time for shopping. Pick up from Fuengirola.
- Ronda and Setenil de las Bodegas Day Trip – see the famous Puente Nuevo bridge in Ronda, with one of the oldest bullrings in the country, and admire the homes and restaurants built into caves in Setenil. Pick-up in Fuengirola – includes a walking tour of Ronda and a complimentary glass of wine in Ronda.
- Day Trip to Granada with Alhambra Tour – see one of the architectural wonders of Spain, the Moorish Palace complex of Alhambra, with free time to explore Granada. Includes pick-up from Fuengirola, tickets to Alhambra and a guide.
Are you Visiting Fuengirola in October?
Let me know if you have any questions that I have not answered above.
In the meantime, here are some local recommendations to help you plan the perfect trip!
Lost in the Jungle in Bioparc Fuengirola
Best Restaurants in Fuengirola
How to Spend a Day in Fuengirola
El Higueron Restaurant in Fuengirola
10+ Cool Things to Do in Fuengirola
7+ Exciting Day Trips from Fuengirola
Monthly Weather Updates for Fuengirola
Here is a full list of the detailed monthly updates done so far, more to be added!
- January: January in Fuengirola: A Guide by a Local Expat
- February: Fuengirola Weather in February: A Local Update
- March: Weather in Fuengirola in March: Local Update
- April: Weather in Fuengirola in April: Local Update
- May: May in Fuengirola: Local Expat’s Guide
- June: June in Fuengirola: Local Guide
- July: Fuengirola Weather in July: A Local Update
- August: August in Fuengirola: Local Expat’s Guide
- September: Weather in Fuengirola in September: Local Update
- November: Fuengirola in November: A Guide by a Local Expat
- December: December in Fuengirola: a Guide by a Local Expat
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links – if you decide to book using one of the links, I will earn a small commission that helps me run this site. This is at no extra cost to you.