Malaga is a city in Southern Spain, in the autonomous region of Andalusia, on Costa del Sol. If you’re wondering where is Malaga located and whether it’s worth visiting, this article has all the answers you need.
Best of all – unlike generic guides by travel enthusiasts, this one is actually written by a local expat living next to Malaga, so you’re only getting the best local insights and tips.
Ready to dive in?
Where is Malaga, Spain Located?
Malaga is located in the south of Spain, in the autonomous region of Andalusia. It is nearly in the middle of Costa del Sol, on the Mediterranean coastline, at the mouth of the Guadalmedina River.
Malaga is also the capital city of Malaga province, which contains six districts including Antequera Region, Axarquía, Costa del Sol, Valle del Guadalhorce and Serranía de Ronda.
It shares province borders with the provinces of Cadiz, Seville, Cordoba and Granada.
Malaga’s exact location coordinates are: 36° 43′ 12.58″ N latitude and -4° 25′ 13.22″ W longitude.
Malaga Location on the Map
Distance to Other Destinations
- Malaga to Marbella: 60 kilometers (37 miles)
- Malaga to Seville: 214 kilometres (133 miles)
- Malaga to Cordoba: 169 kilometers (105 miles)
- Malaga to Granada: 133 kilometres (83 miles)
- Malaga to Gibraltar: 135 kilometres (83 miles)
- Malaga to Madrid: 538 kilometres (334 miles)
- Malaga to Barcelona: 974 kilometres (605 miles)
- Malaga to Cadiz: 234 kilometers (145 miles)
- Malaga to Valencia: 656 kilometres (408 miles)
Your Questions About Malaga Answered
Are you travelling to Malaga and have a few questions before booking the rest of your trip?
Here are some frequent questions about Malaga with my answers.
What Region is Malaga in?
Malaga is located in the region of Andalusia.
Where is Malaga and is it Worth a Visit?
Malaga is blessed with the perfect location on Costa del Sol in Southern Spain, where you can enjoy plenty of sunny and warm days nearly all year round.
Its one of the cultural and historic gems of the south of Spain, and one that shouldn’t be missing from your travel itinerary if you’re travelling to Spain.
What to do in Malaga?
Malaga offers plenty of opportunities to fill your days while on holiday here. Whether you want to spend days on the beach, sampling the local cuisine, or exploring the historic sights, you will find plenty to choose from.
Here are some of my local tips for the best things to do in Malaga.
Is Malaga a Safe City to Visit?
Generally speaking yes, Malaga is one of the safest destinations on Costa del Sol, despite being one of the biggest cities. All you need to keep in mind though is that it does get quite crowded in the summer months and with that there is an increased risk of pickpocketing.
Is Malaga an Expensive City to Visit?
That’s quite relative depending on which country you’re coming from (if you’re from Norway, it’s cheap as chips – if you’re travelling from Easter Europe you might see it as less affordable), and also what you’re comparing with.
In terms of the cities in southern Spain, I would rank Malaga somewhere in the middle. It is a big city so the prices are higher than in the smaller towns around Costa del Sol, but not as high as you would expect for such a location.
What is the Temperature in Malaga?
- How hot is Malaga in January? Between 17C – 8C on average, with some rainy days and more clouds.
- How hot is Malaga in February? Between 18C and 8C on average, also rainy with clouds around.
- How hot is Malaga in March? Usually, temperatures don’t go as low as the previous two months and are in the range of 15C – 19C, with nights still very cold. Less rain and more sunny days.
- How hot is Malaga in April? April weather is a bit unpredictable and you can have random cold spells, but temperatures are warmer around the low twenties.
- How hot is Malaga in May? 15C to 25C with lots of sunny days, rain is rarely seen this time of year.
- How hot is Malaga in June? Temperatures hit 30s for the first time, averaging between 18C and 28C.
- How hot is Malaga in July? One of the hottest months of the year, with temperatures between 20C and 33C.
- How hot is Malaga in August? The hottest month of the year, with temperatures between 25C and 35C.
- How hot is Malaga in September? Cooling off with temperatures between 25C and 30C.
- How hot is Malaga in October? Pleasant temperatures between 20C and 25C.
- How hot is Malaga in November? Still relatively warm with temperatures between 18C and 25C.
- How hot is Malaga in December? Cooling off with temperatures between 15C and 20C
Is there something that wasn’t covered in the questions above?
Feel free to leave a comment here and I will respond as soon as possible.
Explore More in Malaga
Best Day Trips from Malaga by Bus
Is Malaga Worth Visiting? All Questions Answered
Best Day Trips from Malaga by Train
Car Museum in Malaga: Fashion & Vintage Cars Under One Roof