Are you planning a spring trip to Costa del Sol?
If you’re wondering what’s the weather like and what to wear in Marbella in May, this article covers everything you need to know to pack for your trip!
I’ve been living next to Marbella since 2020, so I’m pretty familiar with the weather conditions all year round. In May, the temperatures are already very pleasant, which translates into lighter luggage and fewer layers, yay!
Read the article below to find out everything you need to know to plan your trip to Marbella, including practical tips from a local expert.
Marbella’s May Weather: A Quick Overview
First up, let’s talk weather.
May is the perfect month to visit Marbella, with warmer temperatures and a very low risk of rain or cloudy weather.
You can expect daytime temperatures to hover around a comfortable 22-25°C (72-77°F). The evenings are cooler, but not cold, usually around 15-18°C (59-64°F).
It’s mostly sunny, but there’s always a chance of a light shower – it’s spring, after all!
How does this translate to your packing list? Let’s have a look!
What to Wear in Marbella in May
Essential Clothing to Pack
Given the lovely weather, your suitcase should lean towards summer wear, but with a few layers for those cooler evenings.
Here is a list of what I would pack for May in Marbella:
- Daytime Outfits: Think light and airy. Bring along your shorts, skirts, and summer dresses. Cotton or linen fabrics are perfect as they’re breathable – ideal for those warm strolls around the Old Town.
- Evening Outfits: It can get a bit nippy at night, so a light sweater or a stylish jacket is a must. If you’re planning to dine at upscale restaurants or hit a few trendy bars, Marbella does have a bit of a glitzy side, so a chic dress or a smart casual outfit would be perfect.
- Footwear: Comfort is key! Walking shoes for daytime explorations and something a bit dressier for the evenings. And don’t forget sandals for the beach!
- Swimwear: Of course, this is a no-brainer. The beaches are calling! A couple of swimsuits or trunks should suffice.
- Accessories: Sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat are essential under the Andalusian sun. And, a beach bag for those lazy days by the sea.
Other Practical Packing Tips
- Sun Protection: The sun can be quite strong even in May, so pack sunscreen with a good SPF.
- Light Rain Gear: An umbrella or a light raincoat might come in handy for those occasional spring showers.
- Beach Towel: Some hotels and resorts provide these, but it’s always good to have your own for beach trips or impromptu picnics.
- A Good Book or Two: There’s nothing like enjoying a good read by the sea.
Navigating Marbella in May
Now that you’re all set with your packing, here are a few tips to make your May trip even more enjoyable:
- Explore the Old Town: Marbella’s charming old town, with its narrow cobbled streets and flower-filled plazas, is not to be missed. It’s cooler and less crowded in May, perfect for leisurely exploration.
- Enjoy the Beaches: The beaches won’t be as crowded as in the summer months, so it’s a great time to enjoy the coastline.
- Outdoor Dining: Many restaurants have lovely outdoor terraces. May weather is perfect for enjoying meals al fresco.
- Getting Around: Marbella is perfect for walking, you can walk even from Marbella to Puerto Banus! For local transport guides, you can check my dedicated transport guide from the airport to Marbella, and also transport options for the most popular day trips to Ronda, Gibraltar or Granada.
May is the perfect time to visit Marbella – the weather is warm enough, but not too hot, and it should be still relatively peaceful before the main season starts in the summer months.
You can easily get away with booking a week in Marbella with hand luggage only, packing a few lighter layers and taking a coat with you on board.