The train station in Torremolinos is located in the center of the old town, about 20 minutes walk from the coastline.
If you’re looking for travel connections from the stations and details about the facilities, this article will cover everything you need to know!
How do I know?
I’ve been using the local train station in Torremolinos for over 3 years now, so in this article, you will find lots of practical insights and advice from a local expat.
Let’s jump in!
Location of Torremolinos Train Station
I have marked the location of the train station on the map below.
Facilities at Torremolinos Train Station
The train station has recently completed a renovation (spring 2023) and now boats new platforms and the main hall.
The area around the entrance has also been updated with a new pavement, and the station now looks like it belongs to the current century, which certainly wasn’t the case before.
The station is located on a large plaza with shops and restaurants around it.
You can take a lift of escalators down to the main hall, where you will find the entrance gates and the ticket machines.
There is also a staff member in a booth and a few security guys by the gates. They are normally happy to help you if you get stuck trying to scan your ticket at the gates.
After your purchase your ticket and scan it at the gate (more on that further down), you can turn to the right to get the train towards Fuengirola or get to the other side of the platform where you get a train to Malaga.
Train Connection at Torremolinos Train Station
The Torremolinos train station is used for only one connection, the local ‘cercanías’ commuter train C-1, connecting Torremolinos with Malaga on one side and Fuengirola on the other side.
This train runs approximately every 20 minutes from very early in the morning (around 6am) until past midnight.
It is a popular train connection as it gives you easy and cheap access to both Malaga Airport and central Malaga. You can check the departure times from Torremolinos station by entering your travel date & times at Renfe website here.
Ticket Prices from Torremolinos
The price of the train tickets is determined depending on how many zones your cross.
Below you will find a map with the zones from Renfe, along with a list of the prices.
Some travel cost examples:
- Train from Torremolinos to Malaga – costs €2.05
- Train from Torremolinos to Fuengirola – costs €2.05
- Train from Torremolinos to Benalmadena – costs €1.80
Prices for tickets (one way) on C-1 trains:
- Zones 1/2 – €1.80
- 3 Zones – €2.05
- 4 Zones – €2.70
- 5 Zones – €.360
Getting on a Train at Torremolinos Train Station
Using the local trains is pretty simple!
- Head down the stairs to the main hall where you will see the ticket machines on the right side
- Change your language by clicking the flag button at the bottom left, choose your destination and number of tickets
- The tickets are printed as paper tickets with QR code which you scan at the top of the gates
- Once you pass the gates, locate the correct platform either in the direction of Fuengirola or Malaga
- Keep your ticket with you as you need to scan it again as you exit
Getting from Malaga Airport to Torremolinos by Train
If you need to travel from Malaga airport to Torremolinos, that’s very easy to do by train!
- when you exit the arrival hall, head straight to the back of the parking lot you will see in front of you; the train sign will also navigate you there
- By the entrance to the platforms, you will find ticket booths where you get your tickets (unfortunately, they cannot be purchased online in advance)
- Validate your tickets and get on the correct platform with Fuengirola destination.
- As you exit in Torremolinos, validate the tickets to exit through the gates.
- The tickets will cost €1.80 and the journey takes about 15 minutes
For other transport options from Malaga Airport to Torremolinos check this article.
Exploring Beyond Torremolinos
If you want to plan a little day trip or even an extended trip out of Torremolinos, that’s very easy to do by train.
Here are some of the best day trip options using the train from Torremolinos:
Torremolinos to Fuengirola – cheap and fast day trip that will allow you to see the Bioparc (great if you’re traveling with kids), Sohail Castle, and also stroll along one of the longest coastal promenades on Costa del sol.
Torremolinos to Malaga – it would be a shame to miss the historic sights of Malaga, especially if you’re staying so close! You can get off at Malaga Centro, and from there, it’s only about 10 minute’s walk to the old town, the Cathedral and Alcazaba.
Torremolinos to Granada – get train tickets from Torremolinos to Malaga Maria Zambrano, where you can change for a local train to Granada. It’s a speedy commute, around an hour, and the tickets to Granada can be purchased in advance online here.
Torremolinos to Cordoba – similar to the above, you can get an easy and affordable connection to Cordoba via Malaga Maria Zambrano and tickets can be purchased online here. It’s a little longer trip so I would suggest staying at least for one night.
Torremolinos to Seville – if you want to venture a bit further away, I recommend booking at least a couple of nights in Seville so you get a chance to see the highlights like the Royal Alcazar, the Cathedral of Seville and other local gems. The train journey takes around 2 hours and you should get your tickets online in advance, the last minute ones tend to be quite expensive.
Torremolinos to Madrid – if you fancy seeing the Spanish capital, there is a high-speed train available from Malaga, run by two train companies. The average journey time is around 2.5 hours. The tickets can be quite expensive if you’re traveling in high season or buy them at a last minute notice. You can check departures and prices here.
Torremolinos to Caminito del Rey – there is a newly opened train connection with a local commuter train now available from Malaga Maria Zambrano! You can book this trip also as a day tour without the need to rely on trains (click my link at the beginning of the article).
Torremolinos to Antequerra – see the Dolmens of Antequerra and Antequera National Park with a short train ride from Malaga. This train stops outside of the town, so you will need a taxi to get to the center.
Practical Tips for Trains from Torremolinos
- The trains are modern, with air-conditioning, and usually, there is also a security guide present on the train.
- If you’re traveling with a baby pram, you will need help getting it into the train as two small steps roll out and the train is higher up from the platform. The same applies to wheelchair users.
- If you’re arriving at Torremolinos train station from the direction of Fuengirola with a pram or wheelchair, there is a bit of idiotic design for the use of the lift. You will need to take the lift from the platform down, cross the hallway, and then take the lift back up. There is no other way to exit the platform with an elevator otherwise. In the hall, you can then use the lift on the right next to the stairs.
- There are toilets available on the trains, usually in the middle coach.
- You can also transport a bicycle or electric scooter; there is a dedicated coach for this next to the toilet carriage.
- The doors on the train do not open by themselves; you need to press the green button to get in and out of the train.
- Nobody will check your train ticket on the train; you need to validate it at the gates.
- If you get on at a different stop without gates, validate it as you exit.
Torremolinos Train Station: Frequent Questions
In this section, I included some commonly searched questions about the station. If there is something you need to know and it has not been covered in this article, feel free to leave a comment below.
Where do trains go from Torremolinos?
Trains from Torremolinos go to Malaga or Fuengirola.
How far is Torremolinos train station from the beach?
Torremolinos train station is approximately 20 minutes walk from the beach, down the hill from the old town.
How many train stations are there in Torremolinos?
Technically there is only one train station in Torremolinos, the one in the main square in the old town. However, there are couple of stations next to it which you can use if you need to get to either end of the town – they are called Montemar Alto and La Colina.
How long is the train journey from Torremolinos to Malaga?
The train journey from Torremolinos to Malaga is around 20 minutes.
How much is the train from Malaga Airport to Torremolinos?
The train from Malaga airport to Torremolinos costs €1.80 one way.
How much is the train from Malaga to Torremolinos?
The train from Malaga to Torremolinos costs €2.05 one way.
How many stops from Malaga Airport to Torremolinos?
There are four stops between Malaga Airport and Torremolinos, they are: San Juan, Plaza Mayor, Los Alamos and La Colina. The stops are announced in the train.
Explore More in Torremolinos
Southern Spain Travel Tips
BEST CAR RENTAL
To rent a car, I highly recommend Discover Cars, an award winning price comparison site for car rentals.
BUS & TRAIN TICKETS
To get the cheapest bus or train tickets, take a look at Omio to find the timetables and prices.
Local travel companies offer many day trip options from almost all the destinations in Southern Spain. You can check them out here.
I have been using booking.com for all my trips in Spain and abroad, and it’s the best place to book your hotel.
If you would like to leave your luggage behind to explore the city on your last day, you can use Radical Storage service, which lets you book luggage storage in all the destinations in Spain.
LOCAL SIM CARD
If you want to avoid surprising extra charges from your operator, you can use a service like Airalo, where you can buy digital packs for e-sim cards.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links – if you decide to book using one of the links, I will earn a small commission that helps me run this site. This is at no extra cost to you.